I don’t know what it is about those chocolate-covered espresso beans, but for someone who doesn’t like or drink coffee, they get me every time. This recipe is inspired by Tone It Up‘s breakfast quinoa bowl and I’ve been adding my own to spin on it lately. This is my go-to for those slow mornings where I’m not super hungry yet or for active recovery days from my workouts.
Warm Mocha Quinoa Breakfast Bowl
- 1/2 Cup Almond Milk (or milk of choice)
- 2 TBSP Dark Chocolate Covered Espresso Beans (or small handful)
- 1/4 cup Uncooked Quinoa (rinsed)
- 1 TBSP Chocolate Protein Powder (I use Tone It Up Chocolate Protein)
- 1/2 TBSP Maple Syrup
- 1 TSP Pure Vanilla Extract
- Additional Toppings (optional): Unsweetened coconut flakes, nut butter of choice, banana, chia jam, cacao nibs, sliced almonds, etc.
- Mix quinoa and protein powder in a pan (I like to use a small soup pan/pot)
- Blend almond milk and dark chocolate covered espresso beans in a high-speed blender
- Add espresso bean milk mixture to quinoa and stir to combine
- Bring to a boil over medium-high heat then cover and reduce to low/simmer for 15 minutes (I’ve found it’s best to go by what the package of your quinoa says for cooking time/temperate, but this is a pretty general cooking time for quinoa)
- Stir about 1/2 to 3/4 of the way through the cooking time
- After 15 minutes, turn off burner/remove from heat
- Add in maple syrup and vanilla
- Stir to combine
- Let stand covered for 5 minutes
- Stir once more
- Pour into a bowl and add additional toppings
Do you plan on making this Warm Mocha Quinoa Breakfast Bowl? Snap a pic on Instagram after you make it and tag me in it with #howesheeats and @rebeccal.howe.
Disclaimer: It’s my mission to share with you my favorite brands and products that have also helped me. All views and opinions are my own and products and brands mentioned are freely selected and curated by myself. All product and service details reflect the price and availability at the time of publication. If you purchase something linked on this site, I may earn a small commission, given a product discount, or be gifted with a product in exchange for content due to the nature of the affiliate link.